Monday, April 29, 2019

A Tasting of Fattoria Betti wines in Singapore

An evening with wines from the Montalbino wine region of Tuscany. I had the opportunity to attend a winetasting cum dinner last week at Singapore eatery Casa Tartufo. It was a press meet to introduce wines from Fattoria Betti winery. This event was hosted by Guido Betti, a co-owner of this winery.



A brief introduction by Guido Betti revealed that this winery is located within the sub-region of Montalbano DOCG (in a small town called Quarrata). It’s a family owned winery presently in the hands of 2 brothers: Gherardo Betti the resident oenologist takes care of viticulture & winemaking, while Guido Betti concentrates on sales & marketing.

Guido Betti with Edmond Yau Kin Hung

Guido Betti highlights that production at present is around 60,000 bottles but with the potential and ability to produce more in the near future. At present this winery grows Chardonnay, Trebbiano, Sangiovese, Canaiolo, Colorino, Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot varietals for use in their wines. For now, Fattoria Betti wines are exported to countries like Belgium, Netherlands, Poland, Russia, China, Taiwan, Japan, Malaysia and Singapore.



Bianco di Toscana IGT "Creto die Betti"2018
  
 

The first course for the evening was Burrata with Rucola, Sicilian tomatoes and pesto paired with a white, a Fattoria Betti Bianco di Toscana IGT “Creto di Betti”2018”. This is a blend of 70% Chardonnay and 30% Trebbiano Toscano with current production at around 4,000 bottles. You get a play of floral, citrus and stone fruit aromas on the nose and palate from this wine. The fruit on the palate is fresh and young with a noticeable ripe element to it. This medium bodied wine also reveals a fleshy and supple side to it in the mouth. Acidity supports the fruit rather than overwhelm it.

Chinati Montalbano DOCG 2018




The second course was Purple potatoes Gnocchi in spicy tomato sauce paired with a Fattoria Betti Chianti Montalbano DOCG 2018. This wine is a blend of 90% Sangiovese with the remaining 10% made up of Canaiolo and Colorino. Current production is at around 20,000 bottles. Fresh aromas of black & red cherries and spice greet you in nose and palate. The medium plus body reveals soft tannins, smooth texture, easily noticeable fresh cherry notes and an ample display of acidity. It’s still on the youthful phase of its development profile and makes for a good example of a Montalbino red which can be appreciated while still young and fresh.

Rosso di Toscana IGT "Semel"2016



The third course was char-grilled ribeye steak with truffle fries and Pommery mustard paired with a Fattoria Betti Rosso di Toscano IGT “Semel”2016. It’s a single varietal wine comprising of 100% Merlot. This is a different creature from the previous red we tasted. Black cherry and plum notes greet you on the nose and palate. What surprises you is the intensity, power and depth revealed in the palate. It’s certainly a wine with good aging potential. According to Guido Betti, the first vintage for this wine was in 2009 and to date only a small quantity is produced. Current production stands at around 1,200 bottles only.


Rose di Toscana "Caprone"2018



The last course for the evening was Tiramisu with a Fattoria Betti Rose di Toscana “Caprone”2018. It’s a single varietal 100% Sangiovese, dry wine showing light, fresh red cherry notes of strawberry and raspberry flavours. It comes off as an easy, playful and cheerful sip. You want to sit back and enjoy it over a good conversation with friends at the table rather than ponder over it.


Edmond Yau, Claudia Bondi, Guido Betti & Morgun Pathi

In Singapore these wines are available via local wine merchant V Wine Studio at 321 Alexandra Road. My many thanks to Ms Claudia Bondi of Perle & Perlage, the organizer of this event, for her invite.

2 comments:

winedelivery said...

Wine Delivery in Singapore is operated by a team of wine lovers who are passionate about the world of fine wines. We offer wide range of red wine, white wine, sweet wine & champagne at your doorstep in Singapore.

Anonymous said...

I feel very grateful that I read this. It is very helpful and very informative and I really learned a lot from it. https://wevino.store/